Monday, November 23, 2009

CAN YOU ID THIS MAN?!! .. . THE UNPLEASANT FACE OF THE HUMAN RIGHTS RALLY IN LONDON

Last Saturday I went to London's Hyde Park to show my support for the human rights movement around the World, particularly for my friends fighting so bravely for their freedom in Iran. The Rally, attracted a wonderful crowd .. people from London, from the North of the Country, from the West and even from mainland Europe. And we were lucky enough to hear from as diverse group of "speakers" too : from a rapping poet, to philosopher AC Grayling with just about every stop along the way!! The whole day was organised by Maryam Namazie of the campaigning group One Law For All.

The day was somewhat marred by the heckling and attempted intimidatory tactics employed by this man, name unknown. He appeared at the back of the crowd, leaning on the open railing separating the horse-riding pathway from where the Rally was taking place, and starting shouting "Where Is Your Evidence?" whenever a woman started speaking. A very unpleasant man. I went over, after some minutes of this, and said (very respectfully) that I was reporting on the event. Could I ask him who he was and why he was shouting in this way? I was told : "FUCK OFF". When I said that that was not a very nice way to speak to a woman, especially when I had not been rude to him, 2/3 young men appeared from the background rather quickly, and stood beside him. They started to tell me off, that I shouldn't be speaking to this man at all, to go away!! So I did, after having my say of course. AND making a point of writing down exactly what he had said to me .. in quotation marks above!! The point I tried to make to this man (and why did I try you might ask? answer = because I could and because I knew it would annoy the HELL OUT OF HIM!!) was that by shouting out the way he did showed his total lack of respect for both women and anyone who did not agree with him. My goodness, I'm glad I don't live in his Diktatorship!!

The stewards etc found all this highly amusing it has to be said. A British woman (who is only 5 feet tall and weighs about 9stone, taking on this rather obnoxious man, who had been so rude to her). But this is not Iran, nor any other Country in the World where men can use intimidatory tactics like this against ANYONE just because they want to and feel they have that right.

Once I wandered a few feet away I rather ostentatiously took out my camera phone and took some photographs of this man and his "minders" to share with my friends in Iran and Iranians around the World. I have decided to share those photographs with my blog readers too. One very close friend living in Iran, wanted to come and find him and "sort him out" for being so rude to me. So my friends, if you know who said gentleman is, please advise asap. Because once Iran is free, and my friend is able to travel freely once more, he can expect a visitor knocking on his door to give him a piece of his mind :)

No one has the right to disrespect anyone else. Not a man, not a woman, not a child.

Human beings deserve human rights, that's why they are called human rights.

THE friendships I have formed, the spirit of my friends within Iran, who care about the World whilst struggling so hard to free themselves from the evil Regime they are living under, inspires me and others like me around the World, This battle will be won, and social networking sites, bloggers and the internet are playing a huge role in that. But the biggest battle is taking place on the streets of Tehran, Mashhad, Esfahān, Tabriz, Karaj and Shiraz. Each and every day (and night!), students, men and women, young and old are risking their lives, by talking to the outside world. By demonstrating on the streets, in the Universities, by blogging, by uploading videos, or by protesting on the rooftops under cover of darkness, millions upon millions of Iranians demand, yes DEMAND, their FREEDOM from the tyrannical Regime which murders, rapes and imprisons in the name of Islam.

FREE IRAN VVV

No comments:

Post a Comment